If all of the elements of this lesson plan are employed, students will develop the following powers, skills, and understanding:
1. To read the text carefully with an eye to descriptive language.
2. To think critically about philosophical, moral, and aesthetic questions
3. To produce sophisticated written and artistic responses to the text and research materials.
4. To connect the setting and events of the novel to broader historical themes.
5. To consider the role of edits and revisions in the creation of a literary work.