Consider works The Bloody Chamber explcitly refers to and pays homage to, such as:
- western European fairy tales collected and written by Charles Perrault, the Brothers Grimm, and others
- the writings of the Marquis de Sade, particularly Justine
- Jean Cocteau's surrealist film La Belle et La Bete
- Bram Stoker's Dracula and the classic film adpatation of it, Nosferatu
- Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking Glass
Carter admired the work of Baudelaire, Edgar Allen Poe, Isak Dinesen and Colette and acknowledged the influence of Dinesen's Seven Gothic Tales and Colette's Claudine novels on The Bloody Chamber. She was also apparently a fan of Anne Rice's vampire novels, of...