1. There are numerous allusions to the conflict between the Indian languages of Urdu and Hindi (see "Other" in this ClassicNote).
2. Holi is an ancient Indian festival celebrating the love of Radha Krishna (21).
3. Murad accuses Deven of being hypnotized by "Gutenberg" (91), which is an allusion to Johann Gutenberg, inventor of the printing press.
4. Nur has a fondness for English poets Byron, Keats, and Shelley, and quotes "La Belle Dame sans Merci" by Keats, as well as "To a Skylark" and "Ode to the West Wind" by Shelley (157).
5. A Delhi street, Tolstoy Lane, is named after Leo Tolstoy, the Russian writer.