Read The Sand and the Sieve.
Common Core Objectives
* Reading well: continuing to track themes; examining character development; appreciating how the author raises the stakes.
* Thinking well: using the discussions in the book to examine the role and necessity of books in society, and how this plays into the main themes.
* Speaking well: developing oral skills through vocabulary development, debate, and group discussion.
* Listening well: developing a taste for good grammar and strong diction; evaluating oral arguments; paying attention to the reactions of one’s peers.
* Understanding: seeing how themes of censorship play out.
Note that it is perfectly fine to expand any...