1) why is this chapter called " the recongniton" recognition of who, by whom?
2) describe the man hester sees in the crowd
3) " a wise sentence! " remarked the stranger . . . "
what is happening int he chapter at this point? what sentence is being discussed here?
4)even though it is a wise sentence there is a problem what is that problem the stranger finsd? what vow does the stranger take in his next few words?
5) what information is master dimmesdale expected to obtain from hester?
6) why is it his responsiblility?
7) paraphrase dimmesdaLes speech that begins " hester prynne,' said he, leaning over the balcony."
8) what is hesters response?
9) the puritan life was centered on god and religion. the pastor of a congregation was as responsible for his attendants as a shepard was for his sheep. consider dimmesdalews reaction to hesters response. why would dimmesdale react in such a way? does this seem a little out of character for a purtian pastor?