- Rebecca Skloot. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. New York City: Crown Publishing , 2010.
- Harriet Washington . Medical Apartheid: The Dark History of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans from Colonial Times to the Present . New York City: Harlem Moon, 2006.
- J Jones. Bad Blood: The Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment. New York: Free Press, 1981.
- Susan Reverby . Examining Tuskegee:The Infamous Syphilis Study and its Legacy. Chapel Hill: The University of North Carolina Press, 2009.
- Donald A. Barr. Health Disparities in the United States: Social Class, Race, Ethnicity, and Health. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2008.
- Tom Beauchamp and James Childress. Principles of biomedical ethics. New York City: Oxford University Press, 1979.
- R. A. Hope. Medical Ethics: A Very Short Introduction. New York City: Oxford University Press, 2004.
IMDB page for the HBO production of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.
UNESCO's Universal Declaration on Bioethics and Human Rights
CDC page with information on cervical cancer, the disease that killed Henrietta Lacks.
- David Dobb. "How Rebecca Skloot Built The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks." Open Notebook. November 22, 2011 . September 16, 2016. <http://www.theopennotebook.com/2011/11/22/rebecca-skloot-henrietta-lacks/>.
- Grace Schmidt. "Biography for Rebecca Skloot." Pennsylvania Center for the Book. Spring 2012. September 16, 2016. <https://secureapps.libraries.psu.edu/PACFTB/bios/biography.cfm?AuthorID=7757>.
- Ari N. Schulman. "What Is the Body Worth?." The New Atlantis . Spring 2012. September 16, 2016. <http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/what-is-the-body-worth>.
- Lenika Cruz. "An Uneven Tribute to The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks." The Atlantic. April 24, 2017. March 2, 2018. <https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/04/the-immortal-life-of-henrietta-lacks/523962/>.
- Rebecca Skloot. "Your Cells. Their Research. Your Permission?." The New York Times . Dec. 30, 2015. March 2, 2018. <https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/12/30/opinion/your-cells-their-research-your-permission.html?referer=>.
- Alison Flood. "Henrietta Lacks biographer Rebecca Skloot responds to US parent over 'porn' allegation." The Guardian . Sept 9, 2015. March 2, 2018. <https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/sep/09/henrietta-lacks-book-rebecca-kloots-porn-allegation-tennessee-parent>.