7. When Abigail and Mercy Lewis, the Putnam’s servant, are briefly left alone in Betty’s room, they are joined by Mary Warren, the Proctor’s new servant. Mary urges them to tell what happened in the forest. What kind of “error” does she tell them “witchery” is?
8. After Abigail rouses Betty from her trance by shaking her “furiously,” what does Betty say Abigail did in the forest that she did not tell Parris about?
9. When John Proctor arrives in Betty’s room, he looks at the unconscious Betty and asks Abigail to explain “this mischief here.” What explanation does Abigail give him for Betty’s condition?
10. After Proctor tells Abigail that she is “wicked yet,” what does she ask him to give her?
11. When Betty Parris continues to whimper quietly, what course of action does Rebecca Nurse take to calm her?
12. When Proctor prepares to leave to drag some lumber from his “forest by the riverside,” who claims that “tract” to be in his bounds?
13. At the end of Act One, when the Reverend Hale questions Tituba about her having seen the devil, how many people does she tell him she saw with the devil?
14. When Tituba, “rocking and weeping,” says that she saw Goody Osburn with the devil, what is Goody Putnam’s response?