- Roger Lathbury, ed. Jerry Phillips. Realism and Regionalism: 1860-1910. New York: DWJ Books, 2006.
- Sarah Orne Jewett. The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories. New York: Signet Classics, 2009.
- Sarah W. Sherman. Sarah Orne Jewett, an American Persephone. Hanover, NH: University Press of New England, 1989.
Sarah Orne Jewett. "A Dunnet Shepherdess." The Atlantic Monthly 84.12 (December 1899): pp. 754-764.
Anita Shreve. "Introduction" in The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories. New York: Signet Classics, 2009.
Marjorie Pryse. "Women 'At Sea': Feminist Realism in Sarah Orne Jewett's 'The Foreigner,'" in American Literary Realism, 1870-1910 15.2 (Autumn 1982): 244.
- "Brief Textual History of Sarah Orne Jewett's Country of the Pointed Firs." Fill His Head First With A Thousand Questions. 2008-01-09. 2012-10-25. <http://wraabe.wordpress.com/2008/01/09/brief-textual-history-of-sarah-orne-jewetts-country-of-the-pointed-firs/>.
- Paul P. Reuben. "Chapter 5: Sarah Orne Jewett." PAL: Perspectives in American Literature – A Research and Reference Guide. 2011-10-27. 2012-10-25. <http://www.csustan.edu/english/reuben/pal/chap5/jewett.html>.
- Dottie Webb. "Sarah Orne Jewett and Annie Adams Fields." Nineteenth-Century Regional Writing in the United States. 1997-06-18. 2012-10-25. <http://www.dotwebb.com/regional_writing/jewett_fields.html>.
- Terry Heller. "Speaking Softly to be Heard: Jewett's Feminist Reform Contributions to The Congregationalist, 1882-1884." Colby Quarterly. 2000-09-01. 2012-10-25. <http://www.public.coe.edu/~theller/soj/ess/heller-2.html>.