Thinking Mathematically (6th Edition)

Published by Pearson
ISBN 10: 0321867327
ISBN 13: 978-0-32186-732-2

Chapter 8 - Personal Finance - 8.1 Percent, Sales Tax and Discounts - Exercise Set 8.1 - Page 496: 72


We would have to earn $\$10,000$

Work Step by Step

Let $M$ be the amount of money we earn in order to buy the car. 28% of $M$ is used for taxes, so the remaining 72% of $M$ can be used to pay for the car. We can express 72% as a decimal. 72% = 0.72 We can find $M$. $0.72~M = \$7200$ $M = \frac{\$7200}{0.72}$ $M = \$10,000$ We would have to earn $\$10,000$
Update this answer!

You can help us out by revising, improving and updating this answer.

Update this answer

After you claim an answer you’ll have 24 hours to send in a draft. An editor will review the submission and either publish your submission or provide feedback.