Read the three excerpts from Chapter 5 of Frankenstein.
1. It was already one in the morning; the rain pattered dismally against the panes, and my candle was nearly burnt out, when, by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light, I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open; it breathed hard, and a convulsive motion agitated its limbs.
2. Mingled with this horror, I felt the bitterness of disappointment; dreams that had been my food and pleasant rest for so long a space were now become a hell to me; and the change was so rapid, the overthrow so complete!
3. I remember the first time I became capable of observing outward objects with any kind of pleasure, I perceived that the fallen leaves had disappeared and that the young buds were shooting forth from the trees that shaded my window.
Choose two of the excerpts to explain and to analyze the use of figurative language. For each excerpt
- explain the meaning of the figurative language
- analyze how it contributes to the meaning or tone of the text
Use evidence from the text to explain or support your responses.