If all of the elements of this lesson plan are employed, students will develop the following powers, skills, and understanding:
1. To read the text carefully with an eye to colloquial language and cultural references.
2. To work effectively with a writing partner to co-author original fictional narratives.
3. To create original creative narratives inspired by the novel's themes and prose styling.
4. To produce sophisticated written and artistic responses to the text.
5. To reflect meta-critically on the writing process.