After receiving the note from the girl, what emotions (name at least 2) guide Winston’s behaviour?
More questions :)
1) At the beginning of chapter 1 Winston feels a “curious emotion” (pg. 111) what
are the two basic instincts he is struggling with, and why do you think he chooses to
act how he does in regards to the girl falling?
2) After receiving the note from the girl, what emotions (name at least 2) guide
3) At the end of chapter 1, when Winston and Julia meet in the square there is a
juxtaposition of two events. What two events do you believe are in contrast here,
and why are they significant to the story?
4) Why does Julia find Winston’s former feelings (before they met) about her funny?
What hints does this provide about her character?
5) What aspects of Julia’s personality does Winston seem most drawn to? How does
this relate to Winston’s idea that “no emotion was pure” (pg. 133)?