Discuss the symbolism/meaning of Jackson Island
There are several ways to talk about the setting of Jackson Island:
- The Island represents the frontier.
- The Island represents an escape from civilization.
- The Island fits in with the nautical imagery of pirates.
- The Island introduces imagery of Mississippi River culture like steamboats.
- It allows the boys to imagine they are self-sufficient.
- They have a place to run away to, yet remain within walking distance of home.
Explain the lesson Aunt Polly learns from the Pain Killer scene
This is the first major scene in Aunt Polly's transformation. Her attitudes towards him change, as she can now understand the...
Join Now to View Premium Content
GradeSaver provides access to 747 study guide PDFs and quizzes, 4455 literature essays, 1450 sample college application essays, 183 lesson plans, and ad-free surfing in this premium content, “Members Only” section of the site! Membership includes a 10% discount on all editing orders.