- The Street (novel), Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1946; New York: Pyramid, 1961; Boston: Beacon Press, 1985; London: Michael Joseph, 1947; Ace Books, 1958; Virago, 1988.
- Country Place (novel), Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1947; London: Michael Joseph, 1948; Chatham, NJ: Chatham Bookseller, 1971.
- The Drugstore Cat (for children; illus. Susanne Suba), New York: Crowell, 1949; Boston: Beacon, 1988.
- The Narrows (novel), Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1953.
- Tituba of Salem Village (historical novel for children), 1955, New York: Crowell, 1964; Harper trophy, 1991.
- Harriet Tubman: Conductor On The Underground Railroad (non-fiction), New York: Crowell, 1955; as The Girl Called Moses: The Story of Harriet Tubman, London: Methuen, 1960.
- Legends of the Saints (illus. Anne Rockwell), New York: Crowell, 1970.
- Miss Muriel and Other Stories (story collection), Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1971.
- "Like a Winding Sheet" (essay)
This content is from Wikipedia. GradeSaver is providing this content as a courtesy until we can offer a professionally written study guide by one of our staff editors. We do not consider this content professional or citable. Please use your discretion when relying on it.