Lázaro is a boy of humble origins from Salamanca. After his stepfather is accused of thievery, his mother asks a wily blind beggar to take Lazarillo (little Lázaro) on as his apprentice. Lázaro develops his cunning while serving the blind beggar and several other masters.
Table of contents:
- Chapter (or treatise) 1: childhood and apprenticeship to a blind man.
- Chapter 2: serving a priest.
- Chapter 3: serving a squire.
- Chapter 4: serving a friar.
- Chapter 5: serving a pardoner.
- Chapter 6: serving a chaplain.
- Chapter 7: serving a bailiff and an archbishop.