Students read The Tragedy of Doctor Faustus (B-Text, 1616) Act IV, Scene 6 through Epilogue.
In addition, students read the following selections from the critical articles found in the Norton Critical Edition of the play:
- Charles Lamb, from "Specimens of English Dramatic Poets Who Lived about the Time of Shakespeare" (270-1)
- William Hazlitt, from "Lectures Chiefly on the Dramatic Literature of the Age of Elizabeth" (271-2)
- A.C. Swinburne, "Prologue" to Doctor Faustus (278-9)
- George Santayana, from "Three Philosophical Poets" (279-80)
- Katharine Eisaman Maus, excerpts from "Marlowe and the Heretical Conscience" (372-8)
- Stephen Orgel, excerpts from "Magic and Power in Doctor Faustus"...