Premium Content The Role of Quint and Jessel in Henry James’ "The Turn of the Screw"
By Anonymous - May 07, 2007
Peter Quint and Miss Jessel symbolize the indistinguishable nature of both the governess and Miles’s sexuality in Henry James’s The Turn of the Screw. Whether or not these ghosts actually exist in the literal sense, Quint’s presence evokes what could be construed as sexual desires in the governess while also reminding her of her social status…
This excerpt of the essay is provided for free. To read the complete essay of 1717 words or to get access to our full library of Literature Essays, please subscribe below or log in if you are already subscribed.
Join Now - Choose a Membership Level
GradeSaver provides access to quizzes, 3239 literature essays, 977 sample college application essays and ad-free surfing in this premium content, "Members Only" section of the site! Membership includes a 10% discount on all editing orders.
We have been mentioned in the Washington Post, the Economist, and many other papers around the world for our exceptional essays. GradeSaver has reviewed each essay for quality; these essays are the very best on the Internet and many have been written by students of Ivy League colleges.
|3-Day Trial (recurring)||$2.95 *|
|30-Day Trial (recurring)||$6.95 *|
|1 Month Membership (one-time charge)||$12.95|
|12 Month Membership (one-time charge)||$49.95|
* After your trial period, you will be billed a monthly fee of $6.95 with the option to cancel at any time. Questions? Read our FAQ.
The Turn of the Screw Essays and Related Content
- The Turn of the Screw: Study Guide
- The Turn of the Screw: E-Text
- The Turn of the Screw: Questions
- The Turn of the Screw: Purchase the Novel and Related Material
- Henry James: Biography
- Search for Love
- Using Barthes to Explain "Turn of the Screw"
- The Role of Quint and Jessel in Henry James’ "The Turn of the Screw"
- "The Malevolent Governess and the Benevolent Ghosts": A Subversive Reading of The Turn of the Screw
- The Devil Didn’t Make Her Do It: A Critical Analysis of The Turn Of The Screw
- The Unreliable Narrator in The Turn of the Screw and Billy Budd
- What a Dash can Do