The Waste Land Study Guide & Essays
"The Waste Land" caused a sensation when it was published in 1922. It is today the most widely translated and studied English-language poem of the twentieth century. This is perhaps surprising given the poem's length and its difficulty, but Eliot's vision of modern life as plagued by sordid…
The Waste Land study guide contains a biography of T.S. Eliot, literature essays, a complete e-text, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis.
- The Waste Land Summary
- About The Waste Land
- Character List
- Glossary of Terms
- Major Themes
- Summary and Analysis of Section I: "The Burial of the Dead"
- Summary and Analysis of Section II: "A Game of Chess"
- Summary and Analysis of Section III: "The Fire Sermon"
- Dry, Allusive, and Ambiguous: A Close Reading of "The Wasteland"
- Modernist Experimentation in The Waste Land
- T.S. Eliot's "The Wasteland": Portrait of a Desolate World
- Asceticism and Desire in The Wasteland
- The Crisis of Reading in Kafka and Eliot