- Victor Vollmer/ "Little Man"- Stuttering 11-year-old boy who takes on a new responsibility his friends paper route, and is intrigued by all the new things happening in the neighborhood around him.
- Mam - Protective housekeeper who goes through great lengths to make sure "Little Man" is treated right.
- Arthur "Rat" - Little Man's friend whose paper route he is covering for.
- Ara T - A Junk Man who causes trouble for "Little Man" and Mam.
- Mrs. Worthington - Depressed woman who turns to alcohol quite frequently.
- Mr. Spiro - Intelligent traveler who has patience and helps little man understand things that he is intrigued about.
This content is from Wikipedia. GradeSaver is providing this content as a courtesy until we can offer a professionally written study guide by one of our staff editors. We do not consider this content professional or citable. Please use your discretion when relying on it.