Mythology Study Guide
The Mythology study guide contains a biography of Edith Hamilton, literature essays, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis of the major Greek myths and Western mythology.
The stories of mythology involve many tales about the gods and their interactions with each other and with mortals. The stories begin at the beginning of time and proceed through the first few generations of gods and goddesses until they begin to interact with humans. Doing so creates a wide variety of troubles for humans and gods alike.
Persephone: When Persephone is captured by Hades, her mother Demeter refuses to let the crops grow on earth. Zeus demands Persephone's return, but because she ate the pomegranate seed, she must return to the Underworld for several months each year.
Dionysus: Dionysus grew up in a verdant land and became the wine god. Like wine itself, he proves himself to be alternatively fun and harsh.
The Creation of the…
Read the full Mythology Summary
- Mythology Summary
- About Mythology
- Character List
- Glossary of Terms
- Major Themes
- Summary and Analysis of Persephone; Dionysus (Bacchus)
- Summary and Analysis of The Creation of the Earth
- Summary and Analysis of Prometheus; Pandora; Prometheus and Io
- Summary and Analysis of Europa; the Cyclops Polyphemus
- Summary and Analysis of Narcissus; Hyacinth; Adonis
- Summary and Analysis of Cupid and Psyche
- Summary and Analysis of Pyramus and Thisbe; Orpheus and Eurydice; Ceyx and Alcyone; Pygmalion and Galetea
- Summary and Analysis of Baucis and Philemon; Endymion; Daphne; Alpheus and Arethusa
- Summary and Analysis of Phaethon; Pegasus and Bellerophon
- Summary and Analysis of Otus and Ephialtes; Daedalus
- Summary and Analysis of Perseus
- Summary and Analysis of Theseus
- Summary and Analysis of Hercules; Atalanta
- Summary and Analysis of The Quest for the Golden Fleece
- Summary and Analysis of Tantalus and Niobe; Iphigenia Among the Taurians
- Summary and Analysis of Oedipus; Antigone
- What Is True about a Myth?
- Related Links on Mythology
- Suggested Essay Questions
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 1
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 2
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 3
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 4
- Author of ClassicNote and Sources
Mythology Essays and Related Content
- Mythology: Major Themes
- Mythology: Questions
- Mythology: Purchase the Novel and Related Material
- Edith Hamilton: Biography