This content is from Wikipedia. We do not consider this content professional or citable. Please use your discretion when relying on it. GradeSaver also offers a professionally written study guide by one of our staff editors.
Sources consulted (English versions list)
- University of Wisconsin Digital Collections, Brecht's Works in English: A Bibliography, online database.
- Doollee – The Playwrights Database of Modern Plays: "Adaptations/Translations of Plays by Bertolt Brecht"
- The International Brecht Society: "Brecht in English Translation"
- The Bertolt Brecht Forum: "Bertolt Brecht in English", tabular list
- Brecht Chronik, Werner Hecht, editor. (Suhrkamp Verlag, 1998), p. 566.
- Mutter Courage und ihre Kinder. (DEFA-Film 1959/60), after the production by Bertolt Brecht and Erich Engel at the Berliner Ensemble, with Helene Weigel, Angelika Hurwicz, Ekkehard Schall, Heinz Schubert, Ernst Busch; directed by Peter Palitzsch and Manfred Wekwerth; with music by Paul Dessau.
- Oskar Eustis, Program Note for the New York Shakespeare Festival production of Mother Courage and Her Children with Meryl Streep, August, 2006. See also Brett D. Johnson, "Review of Mother Courage and Her Children". Theatre Journal, Volume 59, Number 2, May 2007, pp. 281–282, in which Johnson writes: "Although numerous theatrical artists and scholars may share artistic director Oskar Eustis's opinion that Brecht's masterpiece is the greatest play of the twentieth century, productions of Mother Courage remain a rarity in contemporary American theatre."
- Klaus Volker. Brecht Chronicle. (Seabury Press, 1975). P. 92.
- "Introduction," Bertolt Brecht: Collected Plays, vol. 5. (Vintage Books, 1972) p. xi
- Therese Giehse interview with W. Stuart McDowell, 1968, in "Acting Brecht: The Munich Years," The Brecht Sourcebook, Carol Martin, Henry Bial, editors (Routledge, 2000) p. 71.
- Online text (German original).
- Oscar Eustis (Artistic Director of the New York Shakespeare Festival), Program Note for N.Y.S.F. production of Mother Courage and Her Children with Meryl Streep, August, 2006.
- Bertolt Brecht. "Brecht on Theatre", Edited by John Willett. p. 121.
- For information in English on the revisions to the play, see John Willet and Ralph Manheim, eds. Brecht, Collected Plays: Five (Life of Galileo, Mother Courage and Her Children), Metheuen, 1980: 271, 324–5.
- Robinson, Ian (2 July 1973). "An 'authentic' version of Mother Courage?". National Times (Sydney: Fairfax Media).
- Christoher Hudson from the Evening Standard: "3 hours of Brecht – underground – the play well served by Peter Stevenson's attention to the text"
- Coe, Tony; Bessel, Richard; Willett, Amanda (1989). Brecht on stage (Television documentary). BBC Two and Open University.
- Matthew Gurewitsch. The New York Sun, August 22, 2006.
- Iqbal, Nosheen (20 April 2010). "Lynn Nottage: a bar, a brothel and Brecht". The Guardian. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- Merry, Stephanie (30 January 2014). "The many moving parts of ‘Mother Courage’". The Washington Post. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- Brecht's reaction
- Popular culture
- English versions