- Lost in Translation: Life in a New Language (1989)
- Exit into History: A Journey Through the New Eastern Europe (1993)
- Shtetl: The Life and Death of a Small Town and the World of Polish Jews (1997)
- The Secret: A Novel (2002)
- After Such Knowledge: Memory, History and the Legacy of the Holocaust (2004)
- Illuminations. A Novel (2008), US: Appassionata (2009)
- Time: Big Ideas, Small Books (2009)
Fjellestad writes on Lost in Translation: A Life in a New Language: [It] is, to the best of my knowledge, the first "postmodern" autobiography written in English by an emigre from a European Communist country." She also writes that in the novel, "Hoffman re-visions and reconstructs her Polish self through her American identity, and re-examines her American subjectivity through the memory of her Polish selfhood."