Jungle of Cities Study Guide
Jungle of Cities study guide contains a biography of Bertolt Brecht, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis.
Jungle of Cities is a play about a fight between two men, George Garga and Shlink. It takes place in the form of a boxing match, with each scene representing one round. Shlink is a wealthy lumber merchant at the start of the play and Garga is only a clerk in a book lending library.
The play opens with Shlink arriving at Maynes' lending library where Garga works. He is accompanied by accomplices, notably Skinny, The Worm, and The Baboon. He tries to buy Garga's opinion on a book, but Garga refuses to sell it. As a result, Shlink declares war on him and starts to destroy the bookshop. Maynes arrives and soon fires Garga. After Garga leaves, Shlink pays for the damage and departs.
Several weeks later Garga shows up in Shlink's office at the…
Read the full Jungle of Cities Summary
- Jungle of Cities Summary
- About Jungle of Cities
- Character List
- Summary and Analysis of Scenes 1-3
- Summary and Analysis of Scenes 4-6
- Summary and Analysis of Scenes 7-9
- Summary and Analysis of Scenes 10-11
- Related Links on Jungle of Cities
- Author of ClassicNote and Sources
Jungle of Cities Essays and Related Content
- Jungle of Cities: Questions
- Jungle of Cities: Purchase the Novel and Related Material
- Bertolt Brecht: Biography