Astrophil and Stella Study Guide
Astrophil and Stella study guide contains a biography of Philip Sidney, literature essays, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis.
Astrophel and Stella tracks the development of a love affair. Over the course of the sequence of poems, the protagonist and narrator Astrophel falls in love with the beautiful Stella, a woman who is virtuous, intelligent, and his idealized partner in life. Most of the sonnets consist of Astrophel as the speaker and Stella as the recipient of his speeches. Because Astrophel is the "author" of the sonnet sequence, we can perceive his inner thoughts and emotions but not much of Stella's. Stella's thoughts and personality are revealed to us only through her actions and occasional speeches to Astrophel. The sonnet sequence would be very different if Sidney had provided a more obvious indication of Stella's feelings. As it is, we partake mainly…
Read the full Astrophil and Stella Summary
- Astrophil and Stella Summary
- About Astrophil and Stella
- Character List
- Glossary of Terms
- Major Themes
- Summary and Analysis of Sonnets 1-31
- Summary and Analysis of Sonnets 32-50
- Summary and Analysis of Sonnets 51-75
- Summary and Analysis of Sonnets 76-100
- Summary and Analysis of Sonnets 101-108 and Songs 1-11
- Astrophil and Stella: Where does it belong in the 21st century?
- Related Links on Astrophil and Stella
- Suggested Essay Questions
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 1
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 2
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 3
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 4
- Author of ClassicNote and Sources
Astrophil and Stella Essays and Related Content
- Astrophil and Stella: Major Themes
- Astrophil and Stella: Essays
- Astrophil and Stella: Questions
- Astrophil and Stella: Purchase the Novel and Related Material
- Philip Sidney: Biography
Or just the representations of love and desire between the two of them. I just really don't understand this song.
I feel like the 'well' that Stella puts in stanza 3 and 9 hint at hesitation and may give false hope to Astrophil but the rest of it seems really confusing. Anything or any idea would help to stimulate more thoughts. Thank you.