A Raisin in the Sun Characters
Walter Lee YoungerA 35-year-old chauffeur who has a young son, Travis, with his wife, Ruth. The family lives in small apartment with Walter's mother and sister in the South Side of Chicago. Hansberry describes Walter as a lean, intense man with nervous movements and erratic speaking patterns. Played by Sidney Poitier in the original Broadway production.
Lena Younger (Mama)The 60-something matriarch of the family. She has recently lost her husband Walter Sr., and will be the recipient of a $10,000 life insurance check. Played by Claudia McNeil in the original Broadway production.
Beneatha YoungerWalter's 20-year-old sister, a college student who invades the Younger household with her modern ideas and philosophies on race, class, and religion. She is a handsome intellectual who has worked hard to refine her speech. Played by Diana Sands in the original Broadway production.
Ruth YoungerWalter's wife and Travis' mother. In her early thirties, Ruth is exceptionally pretty, but is aging before her time because of her impoverished surroundings. During her 11 years of marriage, she often bore the responsibility of keeping the household running, in addition to working as a domestic servant. Played by Ruby Dee in the original Broadway production.
Travis YoungerWalter and Ruth's 10-year-old son.
Joseph AsagaiA Nigerian college student pursuing Beneatha.
George MurchisonBeneatha's boyfriend and fellow classmate, who hails from a wealthy black family.
Mrs. JohnsonThe Youngers' nosy neighbor, who points out the dangers of moving into Clybourne Park
Karl LindnerA white, middle-aged representative from the Clybourne Park Improvement Society.
BoboA fellow investor in the liquor business, along with Willy and Walter.
WillyA partner in the liquor business scheme who eventually runs off with Walter and Bob's investment money.
A Raisin in the Sun Essays and Related Content
- A Raisin in the Sun: Major Themes
- A Raisin in the Sun: Essays
- A Raisin in the Sun: Questions
- A Raisin in the Sun: Purchase the Novel and Related Material
- Lorraine Hansberry: Biography
- A Raisin in the Sun Summary
- About A Raisin in the Sun
- Character List
- Glossary of Terms
- Major Themes
- Summary and Analysis of Act I scene i
- Summary and Analysis of Act I scene ii
- Summary and Analysis of Act II scene i
- Summary and Analysis of Act II scene ii
- Summary and Analysis of Act II scene iii
- Summary and Analysis of Act III
- "Harlem" by Langston Hughes
- Housing Discrimination
- Related Links on A Raisin in the Sun
- Suggested Essay Questions
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 1
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 2
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 3
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 4
- Author of ClassicNote and Sources