Biology 2010 Student Edition

Published by Prentice Hall
ISBN 10: 9780133669510
ISBN 13: 978-0-13366-951-0

Chapter 3, The Biosphere - 3.4 - Cycles of Matter - 3.4 Assessment - Page 86: 1a


Energy flows through an ecosystem in a one-way direction. Matter, on the other hand, flows between ecosystems in closed loops.

Work Step by Step

The energy available in an ecosystem flows from the primary producer to the consumers, with only 10 percent of the energy from one trophic level passing on to the next trophic level. The other 90 percent of the energy is released into the environment as heat. Matter, however, does not flow linearly like energy does. Matter moves between ecosystems and, although it changes from one form to another, the same amount of matter still remains.
Update this answer!

You can help us out by revising, improving and updating this answer.

Update this answer

After you claim an answer you’ll have 24 hours to send in a draft. An editor will review the submission and either publish your submission or provide feedback.