- ^ On awarding the medal, the Italians wrote of Hemingway: "Gravely wounded by numerous pieces of shrapnel from an enemy shell, with an admirable spirit of brotherhood, before taking care of himself, he rendered generous assistance to the Italian soldiers more seriously wounded by the same explosion and did not allow himself to be carried elsewhere until after they had been evacuated." See Mellow (1992), p. 61
- ^ Clarence Hemingway used his father's Civil War pistol to shoot himself. See Meyers (1985), 2
- ^ Gregory Hemingway would undergo sex reassignment surgery in the mid-1990s and thereafter was known as Gloria Hemingway. See "Hemingway legacy feud 'resolved'". BBC News. October 3, 2003. Retrieved April 26, 2011.
- ^ The Garden of Eden was published posthumously in 1986. See Meyers (1985), 436
- ^ The manuscript for The Sea Book was published posthumously as Islands in the Stream in 1970. See Mellow (1992), 552
- ^ The full speech is available at The Nobel Foundation
This content is from Wikipedia. GradeSaver is providing this content as a courtesy until we can offer a professionally written study guide by one of our staff editors. We do not consider this content professional or citable. Please use your discretion when relying on it.