An 1891 photograph of Lillie Langtry as Cleopatra
Selected stage productions
- 1931, John Gielgud as Antony and Ralph Richardson as Enobarbus at The Old Vic.
- 1947, Katharine Cornell won a Tony Award for her Broadway performance of Cleopatra opposite the Antony of Godfrey Tearle. It ran for 126 performances, the longest run of the play in Broadway history.
- 1951, Laurence Olivier as Antony and Vivien Leigh as Cleopatra in a production that played in repertory with George Bernard Shaw's Caesar and Cleopatra at the St James's Theatre and later on Broadway.
- 1953, Michael Redgrave played Antony and Peggy Ashcroft played Cleopatra at the Shakespeare Memorial Theatre.
- 1972, Janet Suzman and Richard Johnson, with Patrick Stewart as Enobarbus in Trevor Nunn's production for the Royal Shakespeare Company
- 1978, Alan Howard and Glenda Jackson in Peter Brook's production for the Royal Shakespeare Company
- 1981, Timothy Dalton played Antony and Carmen du Sautoy played Cleopatra at the Mermaid Theatre.
- 1982, Michael Gambon played Antony and Helen Mirren played Cleopatra for the Royal Shakespeare Company at The Other Place, and later at The Pit at The Barbican Centre, in a production directed by Adrian Noble.
- 1986, Timothy Dalton and Vanessa Redgrave in the title roles at Theatr Clwyd and Haymarket Theatre.
- 1987, Anthony Hopkins and Judi Dench in the title roles at the Royal National Theatre.
- 1999, Alan Bates and Frances de la Tour in title roles, Guy Henry as Octavius (also David Oyelowo and Owen Oakeshott) at the Royal Shakespeare Company.
- 1999, Paul Shelley as Antony and Mark Rylance as Cleopatra in an all-male cast production at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre in London.
- 2006, Patrick Stewart and Harriet Walter in the title roles at the Royal Shakespeare Company.
- 2010, Kim Cattrall and Jeffery Kissoon in the title roles at the Liverpool Playhouse.
- 2010, Kate Mulgrew and John Douglas Thompson in a production directed by Tina Landau at Hartford Stage.
- 2010, Kathryn Hunter and Darrell D'Silva in the title roles at the Royal Shakespeare Company.
- 2014, Eve Best and Clive Wood in the title roles at Shakespeare's Globe in London. Phil Daniels as Enobarbus.
- 2017, Josette Simon and Antony Byrne in the title roles for the Royal Shakespeare Company's at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre.
- 2018, Johnny Carr and Catherine McClements in the title roles for the Bell Shakespeare company at Sydney Opera House.
- 2018, Ralph Fiennes and Sophie Okonedo in the title roles at the Royal National Theatre in London.
Films and TV
- John Fletcher and Philip Massinger's The False One (c.1620) was influenced by Shakespeare's play.
- John Dryden's play All for Love (1677) was deeply influenced by Shakespeare's treatment of the subject.
- Ethel Smyth's Overture to Antony and Cleopatra was first performed at London's Crystal Palace on 18 October 1890.
- Samuel Barber's operatic version of the play was premièred in 1966.
- John Adams' operatic version of the play was premièred in 2022.
This content is from Wikipedia. GradeSaver is
providing this content as a courtesy until we can offer a
professionally written study guide by one of our staff editors. We do
not consider this content professional or citable. Please use your
discretion when relying on it.