- "You'd have taken more notice if you'd known he was doomed to die in the hour."
- "They were strangers to us who were on foot, and we to them. We were all strangers to the corpse."
- "They have too much respect for the dead."
- "Just here man's ignorance and vanity made a farce of the funeral."
- "A few shoved their hats on and off uneasily, struggling between their disgust for the living and their respect for the dead."
- "It didn't matter much- nothing does."
- "The fall of lumps of clay on a stranger's coffin doesn't sound any different from the fall of the same things on an ordinary wooden box- at least I didn't notice anything awesome or unusual in the sound."
- "I have left out the wattle- because it wasn't there..."
- "But unionism is stronger than creed... Drink, however, is stronger than unionism."
This content is from Wikipedia. GradeSaver is providing this content as a courtesy until we can offer a professionally written study guide by one of our staff editors. We do not consider this content professional or citable. Please use your discretion when relying on it.