The Things They Carried Study Guide
The Things They Carried study guide contains a biography of Tim O'Brien, literature essays, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis.
The Things They Carried is a collection of twenty-two stories, or chapters. All focus on the Alpha Company and the fate of its soldiers after they return home to America. A character named Tim O’Brien (same name as the author) narrates most of the stories.
In “The Things They Carried,” the Alpha Company is mobilized to fight in the Vietnam War. The soldiers carry goods necessary to their survival as well personal items. Lieutenant Jimmy Cross carries letters and photos from a female friend named Martha, and spends most of his time mooning over her. The first casualty for the company is Ted Lavender, shot dead while relieving himself. Cross blames himself for the death because he thinks he was too busy thinking about Martha to properly take…
Read the full The Things They Carried Summary
- The Things They Carried Summary
- About The Things They Carried
- Character List
- Glossary of Terms
- Major Themes
- Quotes and Analysis
- Summary and Analysis of "The Things They Carried" and "Love"
- Summary and Analysis of “Spin” and “On a Rainy River”
- Summary and Analysis of "Enemies, "Friends," "How to Tell a True War Story," and "The Dentist"
- Summary and Analysis of “Sweetheart of the Song Tra Bong,” "Stockings," and "Church"
- Summary and Analysis of "The Man I Killed," "Ambush," and "Style"
- Summary and Analysis of "Speaking of Courage" and "Notes"
- Summary and Analysis of "In the Field," "Good Form," and "Field Trip"
- Summary and Analysis of "The Ghost Soldiers," "Night Life," and "The Lives of the Dead"
- Marijuana and Heroin Use During the Vietnam War
- Related Links on The Things They Carried
- Suggested Essay Questions
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 1
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 2
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 3
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 4
- Author of ClassicNote and Sources