The Sound and the Fury Study Guide
The Sound and the Fury study guide contains a biography of William Faulkner, literature essays, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis.
April Seventh, 1928: Benjy accompanies Luster as he searches for a quarter to go to the circus that night. At the same time he relives memories of his youth, most of which have to do with Caddy. He remembers, for example, the night his grandmother (Damuddy) died, when Caddy climbed a tree to look in the parlor windows, showing her siblings her muddy drawers. He also remembers her precocious sexuality, which led to her pregnancy and marriage, taking her out of his life. He can smell the change in Caddy; when she is young and pure she smells like trees to him, and when she begins to have sex she no longer smells like trees. He has a specific order to the day's events, and when Luster interrupts this order, he howls.
June Second, 1910: this…
Read the full The Sound and the Fury Summary
- The Sound and the Fury Summary
- About The Sound and the Fury
- Character List
- Summary and Analysis of April 7th, 1928
- Summary and Analysis of June 2nd, 1910
- Summary and Analysis of April 6th, 1928
- Summary and Analysis of April 8th, 1928
- Related Links on The Sound and the Fury
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 1
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 2
- Author of ClassicNote and Sources
The Sound and the Fury Essays and Related Content
- The Sound and the Fury: Essays
- The Sound and the Fury: Questions
- The Sound and the Fury: Purchase the Novel and Related Material
- William Faulkner: Biography
I have herard that it appears in another Faulkner's book (maybe one of the Snopes family).