1. What does the ancient mariner in “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner” do that
brings the curse on him?
A. He refuses to help his shipmates.
B. He sails into a forbidden part of the ocean.
C. He kills the albatross.
D. He interrupts the marriage ceremony.
2. Which phrase from “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner” contains alliteration?
A. “And some in dreams . . .”
B. “The western wave was . . .”
C. “Had I from old . . .”
D. “A spring of love gushed . . .”
3. Which of the following is one of the main themes of “The Rime of the Ancient
A. the value of all learning
B. the blessedness of all living things
C. the weakness of the human spirit
D. the importance of honesty
4. What sound devices help emphasize the movement of the ship in “The Rime of
the Ancient Mariner”?
Till noon we quietly sailed on,
Yet never a breeze did breathe;
Slowly and smoothly went the ship.
Moved onward from beneath.
A. The alliteration of the b and s sounds emphasizes the ship’s gentle movement.
B. The assonance of the short i sound suggests the thirst of the mariner.
C. The internal rhyme of slowly and smoothly echoes the crushing waves.
D. The consonance of yet and went suggests the awfulness of the curse.
5. In “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner,” why does only the ancient mariner survive
among the crew?
A. He clings to life because he knows supernatural powers will finally save the ship.
B. By killing the albatross, the ancient mariner gained supernatural strength to live.
C. He is the least guilty of them all for the death of the albatross.
D. As punishment for killing the albatross, he is condemned to live to tell the tale.
6. Which line from “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner” contains an internal rhyme?
A. “He struck with his o’ertaking wings”
B. “And it grew wondrous cold”
C. “That made the breeze to blow”
D. “The ice did split with a thunder-fit”
7. What is the tone of the “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner”?
A. horror and awe
B. fondness for a memory
C. humor about one’s faults
D. relief and hope
8. What is one of the central ideas of “Kubla Khan”?
A. the power of the Chinese empire
B. the vastness of the imagination
C. life in the country
D. the importance of rivers in poetry
9. Which phrase from “Kubla Khan” contains assonance?
A. “So twice five miles of fertile ground”
B. “From the fountain and the caves”
C. “A damsel and a dulcimer”
D. “And drunk the milk of Paradise”
10. Which sentence incorrectly uses the vocabulary word?
A. The Ancient Mariner averred that he had killed the albatross.
B. After his experience, the Ancient Mariner never sojourned for long in any place.
C. The Ancient Mariner expiated his story to anyone who would listen.
D. He had too little reverence for the power of nature.
11. Which vocabulary word correctly completes this sentence?
The winds and sea rose in around the ship.
12. Which answer choice shows an inverted word order that was used to create an
A. “It was a miracle of rare device.”
B. “A damsel with a dulcimer / In a vision once I saw . . .”
C. “It was an Abyssinian maid . . .”
D. “And there were gardens bright with sinuous rills . . .”