1. What happens to Jim Conklin? How does Henry respond? How does the wounded "tattered man" treat Henry? Why does Henry desert him?
2. Why does Henry envy the other soldiers? How does he become wounded? What is ironic, or contradictory, about his "red badge"?
3. What fear does Henry have as he returns to his regiment? How is he received? What loud remarks does Henry make as the regiment makes to fight?
4. What change does Henry notice in his friend Wilson? How in your opinion does Wilson provide a foil or contrast to Henry?
5. Do you think Henry's thoughts and actions in Chapters 8-16 illustrate some basic tendencies that all human beings have? Explain