- Baker, Carlos. Hemingway: The Writer as Artist.. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1952.
- Bloom, Harold, ed. Modern Critical Interpretations: The Old Man and the Sea. Philadelphia: Chelsea House Publishers, 1999.
- Brenner, Gerry. The Old Man and the Sea: Story of a Common Man.. New York: Twayne Publishers, 1991.
- Capellan, Angel. Hemingway and the Hispanic World.. Ann Arbor: UMI Research Press, 1985.
- Handy, William J. "A New Dimension for the Hero: Santiago of The Old Man and the Sea." Six Contemporary Novels: Six Introductory Essays in Modern Fiction,. pg. 62. ed. William Sutherland. Austin: University of Texas Department of English, 1962.
- Hemingway, Ernest. The Old Man and the Sea.. New York: Scribner Paperback Fiction, 1995.
- Moseley, Edwin M. Pseudonyms of Christ in the Modern Novel: Motifs and Methods.. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press, 1962.
Burhans, Clinton S. "The Old Man and the Sea: Hemingway's Tragic Vision of Man," American Literature 31, No. 4 (January 1960), p. 447.
Schorer, Mark. "With Grace Under Pressure." New Republic, October 6, 1952, p. 20.
Taylor, Charles. "The Old Man and the Sea: A Nietzschean Tragic Vision." Dalhousie Review 61, No. 4 (Winter 1981-82), p. 638.