9. Pg 32 “I want to show you my new collection of heads.” What is particularly foreboding about General Zaroff’s statement at this point in the story?
10. Pg 33 “As you wish, my friend,” he said. “The choice rests entirely with you. But may I not venture to suggest that you will find my idea of sport more diverting that Ivan’s?” The rising action of a story often offers complications, or difficulties. In this passage, how is Rainsford’s situation made more difficult?
11. Pg 36 “like a wounded snake, and sleep did not visit Rainsford, although the silence of a dead world was on the jungle.” What words and images does the author use in this passage to foreshadow events and to heighten the suspense?
12. Pg 36 “The general was playing with him! The general was saving him for another day’s sport! The Cossack was the cat; he was the mouse.” What is the main conflict of this story? Identify ways in which this conflict might be resolved.
13. Pg 37 “I am going now to have my wound dresses; it’s only a slight on. But I shall be back.” Identify the plot complication that occurs in this passage. What effect does it have on you as a reader?
14. Pg 37 “He knew where he was now. Death Swamp and its quicksand.” Why does this detail heighten the suspense?
15. Pg 38 “It was a distant sound, faint and wavering, but he knew it. It was the baying of a pack of hounds.” What additional challenge does Rainsford become aware of in this passage? Do you think he can overcome this complication? Explain your thoughts.
16. Pg 39 “Twenty feet below him the sea rumbled and hissed. Rainsford hesitated. He heard the hounds. Then he leaped far out into the sea....” The climax, or turning point, is the moment of greatest intensity in a story. What shocking situation occurs in this passage?
17. Pg 39 “He had never slept in a better bed, Rainsford decided.” The resolution reveals the final outcome of events and ties up the loose ends of a story. How did Rainsford manage to escape his earlier predicament? What does he do to end his conflict with General Zaroff?