English 11 The Jade Peony Thought Questions
The Jade Peony Thought Questions
Part One: Jook-Liang, Only Sister Chapter One
1. Draw a family tree showing the relationships in Jook Liang’s family.
2. Describe Stepmother’s position in the family.
3. What is the setting of the story?
4. Why had the “ENEMIES OF FREE CHINA” game been imported to Canada?
5. What was the “day of shame”?
6. Why was father worried about Wong Bak’s visit?
7. Wong Bak is called by several names. What are they?
1. Describe the relationship between Jook-Liang and Pooh-Poohs.
2. What do we learn about Poh-Poh’s childhood in China?
3. Why does Poh-Poh pay so much attention to Sek-Lung?
4. REWRITE What is some evidence of cultural conflict within Jook-LIang?
5. Describe the relationship between Jook-Liang and Wong Bak.
1. What are Father and Wong Bak working on at the beginning of the chapter? Why is there so much secrecy?
2. Why is Wong Bak returning to China? Part Two: Jung-Sum, Second Brother
1. Why is Jung-Sum so happy about his new pet?
2. According to Poh-Poh, what do turtles represent in Chinese culture?
3. Why does Jung-Sum call the turtle King George?
4. Why does Dai Kew give Jung-Sum a dollar?
1. What chore is Jung-Sum given at the beginning of the chapter?
2. What does Poh-Poh say about Jung-Sum that suggests he may be different from other boys?
3. When Jung-Sum first meets Poh-Poh, who does he think she is?
4. What has happened to Jung-Sum’s parents? What was his life like with them?
5. How does Jung-Sum feel about boxing?
6. Describe the history of the coat, and its transformation.
7. Describe Gee Sook.
8. Why does Poh-Poh frequently say, “I die soon”?
Chapter Six 1. What evidence is there of Old Yuen’s bad luck?
2. Describe Frank.
3. What does Jung-Sum learn about himself after the fight?
1. How does Frank treat Jung-Sum? How does Jung-Sum feel about this?
2. What gift does Frank give Jung-Sum?
3. According to Poh-Poh, what does the moon represent?
4. How does Father react to Poh-Poh’s stories? Why?
5. Describe Poh-Poh’s jade peony.
1. What frustration does Sek-Lung have about family names in Chinese?
2. What conflict does Sek-Lung feel about being Chinese and being Canadian?
3. Who is Chen Suling?
4. What does Third Uncle say about the term “Stepmother”?
1. What evidence is there of Old Yuen’s bad luck?
2. Describe Frank. 3. What does Jung-Sum learn about himself after the fight?