- Jack Worthing - "All women become like their mothers. This is their tragedy."
- Algernon Moncrief - "No man does. That's his."
- Lady Bracknell - "A handbag?"
- Algernon Moncrief - "I really don't see anything romantic in proposing. It's more romantic to be in love but there's nothing romantic about a definite proposal. Why, one might be accepted. One usually is, I believe. The whole excitement is over. The very essence of romance is uncertainty."
- Lady Bracknell - "Are you parents living?
- Jack Worthing - "I have lost both my parents.
- Lady Bracknell - "To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune. To lose both looks like carelessness."
- Lady Bracknell - "Rise, sir, from this semi-recumbent posture. It is most indecorous."
This content is from Wikipedia. GradeSaver is
providing this content as a courtesy until we can offer a
professionally written study guide by one of our staff editors. We do
not consider this content professional or citable. Please use your
discretion when relying on it.