- The composer Bernd Alois Zimmermann used this tale, along with Book of Ecclesiastes, in his oratorio Ecclesiastes Action. He committed suicide five days later after composing the piece.
- The scene is the basis of the play Only We Who Guard the Mystery Shall Be Unhappy by Tony Kushner.
- "Talitha Cumi", the third season finale of The X-Files, borrowed heavily from this parable for an interrogation between The Smoking Man and Jeremiah Smith (as the Inquisitor and Jesus, respectively).
- Noam Chomsky refers to The Grand Inquisitor in the first chapter of his book Necessary Illusions.
- Aldous Huxley refers to The Grand Inquisitor in the last chapter of his book Brave New World Revisited.
- The Ocean Collective refer to The Grand Inquisitor in their album Anthropocentric, running the parable across three songs.
- David Bentley Hart refers to The Grand Inquisitor in Section V of Chapter One of his book The Doors of the Sea: Where was God in the Tsunami?
- It was filmed as 'Inquisition' in 2002 for Channel 5 in the UK, starring Sir Derek Jacobi as the Cardinal Grand Inquisitor.
This content is from Wikipedia. GradeSaver is providing this content as a courtesy until we can offer a professionally written study guide by one of our staff editors. We do not consider this content professional or citable. Please use your discretion when relying on it.