Premium Content Trapped in an Isolated Present: The First Chapter of Ivan Ilych
By Nathaniel Popper - February 19, 2002
Poor Ivan Ilych is plagued by not one, but two diseases. While his "floating kidney" ends his life, it is a temporal disease - which is actually healed as his kidney disease progresses - that ruins his life. Ivan spends his life in a small temporal space - he managed to "dismiss his past" (51) and instead spend his life focused on his physical…
This excerpt of the essay is provided for free. To read the complete essay of 2369 words or to get access to our full library of Literature Essays, please subscribe below or log in if you are already subscribed.
Join Now - Choose a Membership Level
GradeSaver provides access to quizzes, 3009 literature essays, 895 sample college application essays and ad-free surfing in this premium content, "Members Only" section of the site! Membership includes a 10% discount on all editing orders.
We have been mentioned in the Washington Post, the Economist, and many other papers around the world for our exceptional essays. GradeSaver has reviewed each essay for quality; these essays are the very best on the Internet and many have been written by students of Ivy League colleges.
|3-Day Trial (recurring)||$2.95 *|
|30-Day Trial (recurring)||$6.95 *|
|1 Month Membership (one-time charge)||$12.95|
|12 Month Membership (one-time charge)||$49.95|
* After your trial period, you will be billed a monthly fee of $6.95 with the option to cancel at any time. Questions? Read our FAQ.
The Death of Ivan Ilych Essays and Related Content
- The Death of Ivan Ilych: Study Guide
- The Death of Ivan Ilych: Major Themes
- The Death of Ivan Ilych: Questions
- The Death of Ivan Ilych: Purchase the Novel and Related Material
- Leo Tolstoy: Biography
- Trapped in an Isolated Present: The First Chapter of Ivan Ilych
- Tedium Extraordinaire
- Separate and Alone: Alienation as a Central Theme in Tolstoy's The Death of Ivan Ilyich and Kafka's Metamorphosis
- Ivan Ilych: Redemption in Mere Minutes
- With Clean Hands, In Clean Linen: A Reflection of Nineteenth-Century Russian Society
- Life Lessons in The Death of Ivan Ilyich