6. Parris says, "Oh, Abigail, what proper payment for my charity! Now I am undone!" What
does that mean?
7. What is Mary's argument to Abby?
8. Describe Proctor.
9. What happened between Abigail and John Proctor prior to the opening of the play?
10. What was the "sign" that Betty was bewitched?
11. Identify Francis and Rebecca Nurse.
12. Explain the political relationship between the Putnam and Nurse families.
13. What did Rebecca do to Betty?
14. What is Rebecca's explanation of the girls' behavior?
15. "There are wheels within wheels in this village and fires within fires." Explain.
16. What is Proctor's reason for his not regularly attending church?
17. What does Parris want?
18. Giles says, "Think on it now, it's a deep thing, and dark as a pit." To what is he referring
literally and symbolically?
19. What do Putnam and Proctor argue about? What does this show?
20. Who is Rev. John Hale, and why does he come to Salem?
21. Hale says, "They [the books] must be [heavy]; they are weighted with authority." What is the
significance of this remark?
22. To what did Tituba confess? Why?
23. What do the girls do at the end of Act One?