The Country Wife Study Guide
The Country Wife study guide contains a biography of William Wycherly, literature essays, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis.
The play’s action begins with Harry Horner explaining to The Quack his brilliant ruse for making a conquest of London’s upper-class ladies. Horner has spread a rumor that a treatment for venereal disease rendered him impotent, and his new status as a eunuch will allow him to gain access to ladies whose husbands and families would otherwise consider him dangerous. It will also allow the ladies to undertake liaisons with him and yet preserve their honor in the eyes of the world.
Sir Jasper Fidget enters with his wife, Lady Fidget. Inferring from Horner’s aversion to ladies that the rumors of his impotence are true, Sir Jasper arranges for Horner to act as his wife’s new chaperone and companion. After the departure of the Fidgets…
Read the full The Country Wife Summary
- The Country Wife Summary
- About The Country Wife
- Character List
- Glossary of Terms
- Major Themes
- Quotes and Analysis
- Summary and Analysis of Act I.
- Summary and Analysis of Act II.
- Summary and Analysis of Act III.
- Summary and Analysis of Act IV, Scenes 1-2.
- Summary and Analysis of Act IV, Scenes 3-4.
- Summary and Analysis of Act V, Scenes 1-3.
- Summary and Analysis of Act V, Scene 4 and Epilogue.
- Restoration Patent Theaters.
- Related Links on The Country Wife
- Suggested Essay Questions
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 1
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 2
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 3
- Test Yourself! - Quiz 4
- Author of ClassicNote and Sources
The Country Wife Essays and Related Content
- The Country Wife: Major Themes
- The Country Wife: Essays
- The Country Wife: Questions
- The Country Wife: Purchase the Novel and Related Material
- William Wycherly: Biography