Dumas based his protagonist, Edmond Dantes, on a true srory he heard about a cobbler who was wrongfully imprisoned for 7 years. After his release, the cobbler tracked down and killed each one of his enemies.Dumas could be making a statement about this life of revenge. Based on the novel, is he advocating that false imprisonment justifies revenge. Back up your claim.
The Count of Monte Cristo Study Guide & Essays
It is difficult to pinpoint the exact motive Dumas had in mind when he wrote The Count of Monte Cristo. He wrote the novel in 1844 and it was published in 18 fragments between the years 1844-46. This was at the same time that Dumas embarked on his project including the D'Artagnan romances. These…
The Count of Monte Cristo study guide contains a biography of Alexandre Dumas, a complete e-text, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis.
- The Count of Monte Cristo Summary
- About The Count of Monte Cristo
- Character List
- Summary and Analysis of Chapters 1-10
- Summary and Analysis of Chapters 11-20
- Summary and Analysis of Chapters 21-30
- Summary and Analysis of Chapters 31-40
- Summary and Analysis of Chapters 41-50