As a final activity for “The Chrysalids” for your reading portfolio answer the following: Conflict: During the short story unit we discussed the various conflicts found in stories. List one conflict that arises in each of the following situations in The Chrysalids. Some of them may have more than one type of conflict, but you need to list only one. After you list the conflict, explain who or what is involved. See the example below.
Example David discovers that Sophie Wender has six toes on each foot. a. Conflict: Character vs. Self b. David believes that having six toes is such a little thing, but he is very much aware of the teachings he has received, "Beware thou of the Mutant!"
1. David jokingly wishes he had a third hand and his father and mother overhear him.
2. Uncle Axel tells David to keep quiet about his picture-talking with Rosalind.
3. Sophie Wenders has six toes on each foot.
4. Aunt Harriet kills herself and her baby.
5. Anne announces that she going to get married.
6. Members of the Group meet Jerome Skinner.