Suggested Essay Questions
- What is Madame Ranevsky's character flaw? How is it expressed, and how does it affect the outcome of the play?
- Describe the history of the relationship between Madame Ranevsky and Lopakhin. How does it change? What does this say about the historical period at the time of the play?
- What does the cherry orchard signify? Discuss three characters and how their views of the orchard are similar or different.
- Compare and contrast Trophimof and Anya's relationship with Madame Ranevsky and her lover in Paris.
- What is Firs' significance in the play?
- What is the significance of the exchange between Trophimof and Lopakhin in Act Four?
- Why does Lophakin fail to propose to Barbara?
- Trophimof declares himself a "free" character. Do you agree or disagree?
- What does Charlotte's character represent in the play?
- Why does Gayef play imaginary billiards through the play? What does this express about his character?
- Compare and contrast Anya and Barbara. What are their characters like? How does the estate sale affect their futures?
- Discuss how this play is a mixture of comedy and tragedy, and why Chekhov specifically categorized this play as a comedy.
- How is Dunyasha an especially ironic character? Discuss in relation to her social status and her love of Yasha.
- What does the play suggest about the relationship between economic wealth and freedom?
The Cherry Orchard Essays and Related Content