- ^ The Life of Geoffrey Chaucer, Encyclopædia Britannica, 1910. Accessed 11 March 2008.
- ^ The Riverside Chaucer. Gen. Ed. Larry D. Benson. Oxford: University of Oxford Press. 3rd ed. 1987. Explanatory note p. 976.
- Benson, Larry D., ed. The Riverside Chaucer. 3rd ed. Boston: Houghton, 1987.
- Davis, Norman, et al. A Chaucer Glossary. New York: Oxford, 1979.
- Foster, Michael. "On Dating the Duchess: The Personal and Social Context of Book of the Duchess." Review of English Studies 59 (Fall 2008): 185–196.
- WATSON, ROBERT A. "Dialogue and Invention in the Book of the Duchess.(philosophical interpretation of Geoffrey Chaucer's work) (Critical Essay)." Modern Philology 98.4 (May 2001): 543.
- Vickery, Gwen M. "'The Book of the Duchess': the date of composition related to theme of impracticality." Essays in Literature 22.n2 (Fall 1995): 161(9).
- This article disputes the idea that the poem was commemorating the death of Blanche of Lancaster.
- Kittredge, G. L. The Book of the Duchess. Excerpted from: Chaucer and his Poetry