- Abrams, M. H. A Glossary of Literary Terms. Boston: Thomson Wadsworth, 2005.
- Benson, Larry D., Gen. Ed. The Riverside Chaucer. 3d Edn. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1987.
- Chaucer, Geoffrey. The Book of the Duchess and Other Poems. Kila, MT: Kessinger Publishing, 2001.
- Fichte, Jorge O. Chaucer's "Art Poetical": A Study in Chaucerian Poetics. Tubingen, Germany: Gunter Narr Verlag, 1980.
- Godwin, William. Life of Geoffrey Chaucer, The Early English Poet. London: T. Davison, 1803.
- Shapiro, Karl, and Robert Beum. A Prosody Handbook. New York: Harper & Row, 1965.
- Wimsatt, James. Chaucer and the French Love Poets. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1968.
Vickery, Gwen M. "'The Book of the Duchess': The Date of Composition Related to the Theme of Impracticality." Essays in Literature 22:2 (Fall 1995): 161-69.
- Killings, Douglas B. "Book of the Duchesse by Geoffrey Chaucer." Online Medieval and Classical Library. 1994-09-01. 2008-01-01. <http://omacl.org/Duchess/>.