Biology (11th Edition)

Published by McGraw-Hill Education
ISBN 10: 1-25918-813-2
ISBN 13: 978-1-25918-813-8

Chapter 13 - Chromosomes, Mapping, and the Meiosis-Inheritance Connection - Review Questions - Synthesize: 1

Answer

25%, 50%, 0%

Work Step by Step

Based on the information given, this woman will have one allele for color blindness from her father, and one allele for normal color vision from her mother. If her husband has normal color vision, that means that he has one normal copy of the gene for color vision (males only have one copy of sex-linked genes). Thus, the woman's son's will have a 50% chance of getting her allele for color blindness, which will be the only one, as males, which they will get, making them color blind. Daughters will have normal color vision since they will inherit their father's allele for normal color vision and that allele is dominant. Daughters will, on average, be 50% of the children, and half of the males (25% of total children on average) will not be color blind. That leaves 25% of all children and 50% of all males color blind.
Update this answer!

You can help us out by revising, improving and updating this answer.

Update this answer

After you claim an answer you’ll have 24 hours to send in a draft. An editor will review the submission and either publish your submission or provide feedback.