The Summer of Riley (2001)
Coffin on a Case! (1992) — Edgar Award for Best Juvenile Mystery
Fly Away Home (1991) — Award Winning Novel
- A father and son are homeless and they sleep at the airport. The son watches the planes fly away and hopes one day he will be able to leave.
- Viktor finds hope from two fishes during a harsh war in the 1990s.
The Ghost Children (1989)
- How Many Days to America?
- This book describes a family secretly leaving their country and taking a small boat to America. When they reach America, they celebrate and have Thanksgiving. This is a very powerful Thanksgiving story.
Is Anybody There? (1988) — Edgar nominee
- The Memory String
- A young girl remembers her family, including her mother, by a string full of buttons. Each button belongs to a certain family member and memory. She is dealing with change as her stepmother and father paint the house. This story focuses on how the young girl copes with the pain of losing her father and gaining a stepmother.
- Moon Stick
Nasty, Stinky Sneakers — 1997 Sequoyah Children's Book Award 
- Night Tree
- A family travels through a forest and decorates a Christmas tree with oranges and popcorn. They sing and drink hot chocolate with the animals. The family leaves the tree for the animals to celebrate Christmas.
One More Flight (1976, Warne) — Golden Kite Award from the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators
The Presence: A Ghost Story (2003)
- S.O.S Titanic
- The same theme as Titanic but a different story board.
The Sixth Grade Sleepover — 1989 Sequoyah Children's Book Award
Smoky Night (1994), illustrated by David Díaz
- A young boy wakes up in the middle of the night and his family is forced to leave their house due to riots. Despite hatred in the city, two families are bonded by the events. Díaz won the annual Caldecott Medal for American children's illustration.
So Far from the Sea (1998) — Illustrated by Chris K. Soentpiet
- A young Japanese American girl visits her grandfather's grave at Manzanar with her parents and younger brother.
- Someone is Hiding on Alcatraz Island
Spying on Miss Muller (1995) — Edgar nominee
- A Sudden Silence
- Jesse Harmon searches for the hit-and-run serial killer who killed his brother Bry.
The Great White Shark (1982)
The Sea World Book of Sharks (1984)
The Sea World Book of Whales (1987)
Skateboards: How to Make Them, How to Ride Them (1977)
This content is from Wikipedia. GradeSaver is
providing this content as a courtesy until we can offer a
professionally written study guide by one of our staff editors. We do
not consider this content professional or citable. Please use your
discretion when relying on it.