1. How does Uncle Hammer handle this situation (involving Stacey’s coat), and why do you think he does this—is it because he’s a mean person? What experiences might you guess Hammer has had to make him so wary of being taken advantage of by others?
2. Why does Mr. Jameson decide to help the African American people buy their food and
supplies in Vicksburg? How could that have been a dangerous decision for him?
3. Why does Cassie start acting like a servant for Lillian Jean? Would you do the same thing if
you were Cassie? What would you do differently? Explain.
4. What do you think is the real reason Kaleb Wallace and Harlan Granger have Mrs. Logan
5. What measure taken by the white landowners, and what threat made by the Wallaces, make
Mr. Avery, Mr. Lanier, and others withdraw from the plan to shop in Vicksburg?
6. Why does Mr. Logan insist on taking Stacey with him to Vicksburg, and why does Mrs.