Richard III Study Guide
Richard III study guide contains a biography of William Shakespeare, literature essays, a complete e-text, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis.
Richard has just had his brother Clarence arrested and placed in the Tower of London. Using an order signed by their brother, King Edward, Richard has two murderers enter the Tower and stab Clarence to death.
Richard also goes to speak with Lady Anne, whose father and husband he has helped murder. She curses him, but eventually is overcome by his smooth words. At the end of the scene Richard manages to get her to marry him.
Queen Margaret, an old lady who haunts the court, casts a curse upon the royal assembly. She predicts that the current Queen Elizabeth's brother and sons will be killed, as will Lord Hastings, Buckingham, and lastly Richard. Her curse becomes the underlying plot of the play.
King Edward, who is sick, tries to force his…
Read the full Richard III Summary
- Richard III Summary
- About Richard III
- Character List
- Summary and Analysis of Act 1
- Summary and Analysis of Act 2
- Summary and Analysis of Act 3
- Summary and Analysis of Act 4
- Summary and Analysis of Act 5
- About Shakespearean Theater
- Related Links on Richard III
- Author of ClassicNote and Sources
Richard III Essays and Related Content
- Richard III: Essays
- Richard III: E-Text
- Richard III: Questions
- Richard III: Purchase the Novel and Related Material
- William Shakespeare: Biography